You are here

All Bluffton Icon News

Remembering Mr. Brown

Ada resident and former Bluffton High School teacher Gary Brown passed away on April 25; his obituary is HERE.

By Fred Steiner
www.blufftonforever.com

Pardon the following recollections. They may be hit-and-miss, because as M. Twain claimed “The older I get, the more clearly I remember things that didn’t happen.”

Funny how you continue to address your high school teachers as “Mr.”, “Mrs.,” or “Miss,” long after your own graduation in the world of adults.

Mr. Brown–also known as Gary Brown–is a perfect example. This past  winter I saw him in the bank, and said, “Hello, Mr. Brown,” as our conversation began. I’d never considered, “Hello, Gary.” That would have the broken unwritten rule number one between student and teacher. At least in my day.

Despite that, here’s what enters the adolescent caverns of my mind when recalling the “Mr. Brown file.”

First, he was unconventional. Junior high students appreciated that. He could joke with us, with a down-to-earth-like honesty.

He once told us that he’d prefer having a black snake in the house to keep the mice at bay rather than using mouse traps. That captured the class attention. Was he telling the truth? We believed so.

CONTINUES

Section: 

Weekend Doctor: Strep throat

By Ailing Chen, MD
Pediatrics, Caughman Health Center

Acute strep pharyngitis, commonly known as strep throat, is a bacterial infection that affects the throat and tonsils. It is caused by the group A Streptococcus bacterium that can be easily spread through contact with an infected person's saliva or nasal secretions. 

However, viruses are the most common cause of pharyngitis in all age groups. Experts estimate that group A strep, the most common bacterial cause, causes 20 to 30 percent of pharyngitis episodes in children. In comparison, experts estimate it causes approximately five to 15 percent of pharyngitis infections in adults.

What are the symptoms for strep throat?
The most common symptoms of strep throat include sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, fever, swollen lymph nodes in the neck and white or yellow spots on the back of the throat or tonsils. Other symptoms may include headache, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting — especially among children. Rash on face or around the neck may be present with strep infection in some children, which is called scarlet fever. 

CONTINUES

Section: 

Can you name that cat?

The Bluffton Public Library has introduced a bright yellow summer reading mascot for 2023--and is inviting the community to help pick a name. Meow! See the Facebook invite HERE.

Officer Dominic Francis Memorial Highway dedicated in Bluftton

Photographs by Jamie Nygaard

By Paula Scott

The community that has grieved and honored fallen police officer Dominic Francis since his loss in the line of duty on March 31, 2022, is now celebrating him with a first official memorial on Interstate I-75.

On Friday, April 28, ceremonies to commemorate the Officer Dominic Francis Memorial Highway--a portion of I-75 in Allen and Hancock counties--were held at Bluffton Town Hall. Signs will be located at mile marker 139 Northbound and 143 Southbound.

Section: 

May 2 election brings JAMPD tax levy renewals, gas aggregation and local liquor permit before voters

By Paula Scott

Election Day is Tuesday, May 2, 2023 and Bluffton voters have several local ballot items to consider. In Village of Bluffton voting precincts A, B and C, the following questions and issues will appear on ballots:

• Two proposed tax levy renewals for Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District
  • A proposed Gas Aggregation resolution

Precinct B ballots will include

• Local Liquor Option (a D-6 permit for alcohol sales on Sunday for the restaurant at 133 N. Main St., Luke’s Bar and Grill a.k.a. Kira’s Flipside Grill).

No candidates will appear on the May 2 primary ballot. Valid filers for mayor and council will be nominated to the general election in November. 

AT THE POLLS
Polls are open from 6:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m.. The postmark deadline for absentee ballots in May 1 and the deadline to return absentee ballots in person to the county board of elections is 7:30 p.m. on May 2. (Note: 601 N. Main St. is still a Bluffton polling place.)

Voters are now required to show an Ohio or federally-issued photo ID when voting in person. If you do not have a state-issued photo ID, you can now get a free state ID from your local BMV.

CONTINUES

Section: 

Pirate tennis loses to Wapak

By Cort Reynolds

The visiting Wapakoneta boys tennis team defeated Bluffton 4-1 Thursday evening, April 27.

Bluffton fell to 6-10 after the loss. Wapakoneta improved to 7-7 with the non-league win.

Section: 

Pages